The Prominent Hill operation is located 650 kilometres north west of Adelaide and 130 kilometres south-east of Coober Pedy in South Australia.
What we do
The 24 hour operation is comprised of the Malu open pit mine, the Ankata underground mine, a conventional crushing, grinding and flotation processing plant and a permanent accommodation village for its workforce. Prominent Hill produces a high quality copper concentrate – one of the highest grade traded on the open market.
In 2013, OZ Minerals produced 73,362 tonnes of copper and 128,045 ounces of gold contained in concentrates.
Production exceeded 2014 guidance for the year to 92,615 tonnes of copper and 148,192 ounces of gold.
OZ Minerals is looking to extract further value from Prominent Hill with the future development of the Malu Underground mine. In December 2013, the Board approved the commissioning of the Malu Underground in 2014. A Reserve for the Malu Underground was released on 30 June 2014 with production expected to commence in late 2014.
Travel and rosters
Prominent Hill has a workforce of 1,200 employees, including contractors. Prominent Hill employees work a standard eight and six (8/6), fly-in fly-out roster (some positions may require a different roster), with a typical roster involving 12 hour shifts. We offer chartered flights from Adelaide (1 hour) and Port Augusta (40 minutes) and a bus service for those living in the nearby town Coober Pedy.
The facilities and services provided for the village are:
- Over 1200 ensuited cabins, each with a king single or double bed, private ensuite, Austar TV and air conditioning
- Wi-Fi access from the accommodation village
- Mobile coverage through Telstra G3 mobile tower
- 24 hour medical service with modern medical facilities
- Dining room serving delicious, healthy food
- Wet mess which sells snacks, magazines and personal items
- 25 metre swimming pool
- Cardio and weight gymnasium, including a variety of classes
- Tennis, indoor cricket and ball courts.Mail and postage service